“Sorry, you can’t view or download this file at this time” is an error message that you may get when you try to download files on Google Drive.
– The explanation for the error message is simple: while users are free to share files publicly, or with a large number of users, quotas are in effect that limit availability. If too many users view or download a file, it may be locked for a 24 hour period before the quota is reset. The period that a file is locked may be shorter according to Google.
– If a file is particularly popular, it may take days or even longer before you manage to download it to your computer or place it on your Drive storage.
– There is a trick that allows you to bypass Google Drive’s 24 hour limit, here’s how it works:
– Login to google drive using your gmail account (https://drive.google.com) and make sure “Quick Access” feature is active (to activate the quick access feature go to Settings and checklist “Make relevant files handy when you need them in Quick Access.”).
– And now we get started
1. Access any Google Drive link and click “Download”
2. You will see the 24h lock notification “Sorry, you can’t view or download this file at this time ….”
– Close this browser tab, open “drive.google.com” (your drive)
3. In the “Quick Access” section that shows the link you just opened (click “F5” to refresh google drive page if you can’t see it), right-click “Makes a copy”.
4. Download from the newly created link
5. After the download is complete, delete the link from the drive to save space (Gdrive accounts have a default storage space of 15GB).